Should you rent a catamaran or a sailboat from the main bases in Mykonos or Paros? Or should you start your sailing trip from Athens and sail your way to the beautiful islands of the Cyclades?
Well, both alternatives are feasible and both of them, as in every situation in life, have their pros and cons. So we’ve created a list for you, so that you can assess the situation on your own and decide which way you should go.
Why charter a boat from Athens (Kalamaki or Lavrio marina)
1. Variety: The two Athenian bases are home to the largest part of the Greek fleet. So there are many different boats to choose from and high chances you will find exactly what you are looking for.
2. Reasonable pricing: where there is a plethora of choices, there is definitely a wider range of prices. As opposed to Mykonos and Paros, here you will find sailboats for a reasonable budget, or crewed luxury catamarans of all sizes, or luxury motor yachts if that is what you are looking for.
3. Easier to avoid the meltemi winds: For those of you who haven’t sailed the Northern Aegean before, let us introduce you to the northern high winds of August called the meltemi. Every year there are a few days during this month that the winds in the Aegean are so strong that there is high chance you will be stranded in Mykonos or Paros or any other island. Now, If you start from Athens and the winds are prohibitive for sailing in the Northern Aegean, there is no reason why you should lose your sailing vacation. You can go ahead and visit the beautiful Saronic islands of Poros, Hydra, Spetses with their unique scenery and well known guests such as the royal family of Great Britain, Leonardo Di Caprio, Sofia Lauren, Jennifer Lopez and others.
Why charter a boat from Mykonos or Paros
1. Save time by arriving right in the heart of the Cyclades. If you choose to start from any of the two islands, then you won’t have to waste any time sailing your way into this beautiful cluster of islands.
2. Reason number 1 again! Time is of essence especially during our summer holidays, so this is the main and probably the only reason to go this way.
In any case, whatever you choose, the Vyra.com team is here to help you out! Take a look around our website, search through our available boats online and if you don’t find what you are looking for, contact us and we will find it for you!